Mobile Apps for Tracking Mileage Readings
The days of using paper for record keeping are quickly coming to an end. For nearly any task you can think of, there is either an online application, like a software service, or there is an Android or iPhone app to make the job easier.
Mileage Tracking is no exception.
There are some easy apps available to help employees keep track of odometer readings for their mileage records. This is great news because employees have to track their mileage if they are reimbursed by their employers for mileage or if they plan to claim tax deductions for the use of their vehicle for business purposes.
In order to get reimbursed by the IRS for mileage that was not reimbursed by your employer, you need to track mileage. The IRS doesn’t mind if you write down your odometer readings or let an app do the work for you, but if you choose to do the job manually, you have to do some minor calculations to figure out the mileage. To make the process quicker, you can have the app do it for you.
These apps can track your mileage based on the speed the vehicle is going, via geolocation by measuring the distance you travel as you drive, or by calculations based on you odometer entries. Either way, you’re just getting the number of miles you drive on work related trips for tax purposes.
- Trip Cubby – This is a pretty feature rich mileage tracking app for iPhone.
- TripLog – This app works for both iPhone and Android and it’s free.This mileage app tracks mileage and also tolls, parking fees, fuel, and other expenses and compiles them into a report for the IRS.
There are many more options if you don’t mind paying a few bucks. Check out this list for iPhone mileage apps.
- TripLog – This is the same app as above but for Android.
- My Car Tracks – This app will track your trips automatically without having to click start and stop. It also manages fleets and location of vehicles.
- Copernicus Mileage Tracker – This is a simple app for mileage tracking for tax or reimbursement purposes. Simply enter the odometer value and drive.
As with the iPhone, there are a lot of apps to choose from, costing between .99 cents and 3 dollars. You can find them on the Play Store.